Backup job hangs on snapshot processing.
- Check for the Volume shadow copy(VSS) service and Microsoft shadow copy service
- Should be set to manual and not running if no backup is in progress.
- Uncheck the AOFO option
- Checked for event logs
- Run vssadmin list providers on the command prompt and check for the providers.
- Run vssadmin list writers and check all the writers are stable.
- Enable VSS debug trace on the problem server and run the backup again to generate the VSS trace log.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd765233%28v=vs.85%29.aspx (2008 R2)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887013 (OS versions previous to 2008 R2)