Backup Exec 2010 R3 jobs fails with the error: 0xe0009b86 - Backup Exec cannot connect to the remote agent because a trust relationship was not established between the remote agent and the media server.
0xe0009b86 / V-79-57344-39814 - Backup Exec cannot connect to the remote agent because a trust relationship was not established between the remote agent and the media server. To establish a trust relationship, add the remote agent to the Favorite Resources in the backup selections tree.
Backup Exec 2010 R3 and above now use stronger network security protocols to secure communication between media servers and Remote Agents, reducing the possibility that backup or restore operations can be compromised.
When connecting to a remote computer from the media server, a trust relationship must be established between the media server and the remote computer. In certain situations the trust must be established manually.
1. If the Backup Exec 2010 R3 or above Remote agent for Windows (RAWS) is installed manually, the trust must be established before selecting the remote computer for backup or an existing selection list / job can run.
2. An alternate or new media server is attempting to backup a remote computer where no trust is established.
3. A trust relationship for a remote Linux or UNIX computer must be established prior to a backup.
Note: This error also occurs if the Backup Exec Server is trying to backup another media server with same version of RAWS. Ensure that BE is not installed on the target remote server.
A trust relationship between the media server and the remote computer can be established in the following ways:
1. Push-install the remote agent to one or more remote computers from the media server. The trust relationship between the remote computer and the media server is automatically established during installation. (See related articles for How to push install Backup Exec RAWS)
2. Manually install the remote agent, then open the selection list on the media server and browse the remote server. It will prompt to authorize the server or not. This is another way to establish the trust relationship between remote computer and media server.
3. Install the Remote Agent for Linux or UNIX Servers on a Linux or UNIX computer respectively and then add the computer to User-defined Selections.
Please refer to the Related Document below for more information. (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH156427)
Backup Exec 2010 R3 & Backup Exec 2012.