In LTO4 drive with hardware encryption enabled catalogs fail with error: 0xe00084ce - The backup storage device has failed.
Final Error: 0xe00084c8 - The backup storage device has failed
Final error category: Backup Device Errors
For additional information reagrding this error refer to link v-79-5734433992
This issue is due to corrupt catalog folder.
- Open up the Windows Services applet, and stop all Backup Exec services.
- Confirm the present location of catalog by opening Tools - Option- Catalog from Backup Exec.
- Rename the the existing catalog folder ton Catalogs_old and
- Restart the Backup Exec services.
- In Backup Exec, go to Tools - Options and click on the Catalog setting.
- Uncheck the "Request all media in the sequenc for catalog operation" box (Tools > Options > Catalogs).
- Run the catalog of the tape again.
Note: Keep in mind that renaming the catalogs folder will lose all catalogs that reside on disk. Catalogs will still be able to be performed, but they will be essentially recreated instead of using what was in the old Catalogs folder. All new backups will create catalogs in the new Catalogs folder as well.
This issue may also occur if the drives are unable to read the tape contents. To isolate this issue, try a backup and restore on a new tape.
Note: If the job is spanned to multiple tapes the catalog job might fail with the same error message but will be able to see and restore the data successfully. This error message can be ignored in that case.