Backup jobs fail with Event ID:12298 and following error message in the BESR event logs
Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job:Drive Backup
Error E7D1001F: Unable to write to file.
Error EBAB03F1: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.(UMI:V-281-3215-6071)
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The I/O writes cannot be held during the shadow copy creation period on volume.
The backups generally fail with this error if the VSS writers on the system are not stable. As the VSS writers are not stable
they will not be able to quiesce(pause) the volumes that are being backed up and it fails.
- Open a command prompt and run the following command:vssadmin list writers
- All the writers listed should be in Stable state with no errors.
- If the writers are not stable restart the server and then check them again.
- Install the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) update rollout package(depending on the version of Windows)
if the writers are not stable even after reboot.
- Follow the below microsoft KB link and install the VSS update from it and reboot the server again.
- Check the status of the VSS writers again. If they are all stable, continue running the backups.
- If the above steps do not resolve the VSS issue please contact Microsoft technical support for further assistance on troubleshooting VSS.