DOCUMENTATION AND DOWNLOAD: NetBackup Support Utility (NBSU) Usage and Examples for NBSU 1.4.
The NetBackup Support Utility (NBSU) is a Symantec utility used to gather diagnostic information about the system on which the utility is run. By default, NBSU gathers appropriate diagnostic information based on the Operating System and NetBackup environment. With the availability of many command line options, the diagnostic information gathered can be tuned as desired.
- NBSU is designed for use with NetBackup version 3.4 and greater.
- In order for NBSU to be able to create a support package (if required), the path to the following programs must be included in the $PATH environment variable:
Note: If gzip is not available, the "compress" program is used, if available.
Note: If these programs are not available, a single XML formatted output file is created.
- For master and media server environments, the appropriate services or daemons must be up and running.
- If there are no command line options specified, NBSU selects and runs all appropriate diagnostics and gathers all available information.
- To see a list of the diagnostic commands NBSU will select, run NBSU with the -l command line option.
- If individual diagnostic commands, groups of related diagnostic commands, configuration or troubleshooting related diagnostic commands, or NetBackup or Media Manager exit status related diagnostic commands are desired, use the appropriate command line option(s) as desired.
- If individual diagnostic commands or groups of related diagnostic commands are desired to be skipped, use the -s command line option.
Phase I - Determine Operating system environment information including:
- Operating system name and version
- Domain name
- System root directory
- Configured host services
- NetBackup installation path
- NetBackup version
- NetBackup release information
- NetBackup NBAC authentication (interactive only)
- NetBackup host "role"
Phase III - Gather diagnostic lists:
- Operating System (OS) related diagnostics
- Device (DEV) related diagnostics
- Network (NET) related diagnostics
- NetBackup (NBU) related diagnostics
- Media Manager (MM) related diagnostics
- Command line options
- OS release level
- NetBackup version level
- NetBackup host role
- Commands = single command line diagnostic
- Procedures = multi-step diagnostic. Groups of related command line diagnostics.
- Process the information file
- Remove temporary files
- Update the history file
- If necessary, create a bundled support package
Command Line Options:
-c = Run only diagnostic commands or procedures that are related to the NetBackup configuration.
-d <name> = Run only the diagnostic command or procedure listed. For a list of diagnostic commands or procedures, run NBSU with the -l command line option.
-debug = Run NBSU in debug mode.
-g <name> = Run only the diagnostic commands or procedures related to the group name. Diagnostic groups are "OS", "DEV", "NET", "NBU" and "MM".
-h = Display terse NBSU command line help information.
-H = Display full NBSU help information.
-i = Interactive mode. Used to log in as a NetBackup security administrator.
-l = List the diagnostic commands that would be selected to run. Can be used with other command line options to display the appropriate diagnostic commands or procedures.
-L = List all of the NBSU 1.2.6 diagnostics and commands. Can be used to output a detailed report of each diagnostic to STDOUT. Includes selection criteria and commands that will be executed.
-mm_e <###> = Run only the diagnostic commands or procedures related to the Media Manager exit status.
-nbu_e <###> = Run only the diagnostic commands or procedures related to the NetBackup exit status.
-nozip = Do not compress the output file(s).
-r <NBU role> = Run only the diagnostic commands or procedures related to the NetBackup host role. Accepted host role parameters are abbreviations:
-s <name> = Skip the diagnostic command, procedure or group listed. For a list of diagnostic commands or procedures, run NBSU with the -l command line option. Diagnostic groups are OS, DEV, NET, NBU, and MM.
-t = Run only diagnostic commands or procedures that are related to the NetBackup troubleshooting.
-v = Output the internal version of NBSU.
-xml = Output all NBSU output into a single XML formatted file.
List the diagnostics that would be selected to run on a NetBackup node:
Select an individual diagnostic command to run and to not zip the resulting support bundle:
Select the network group of diagnostics to run, but skip the NET_dd diagnostic:
Select the diagnostics associated with the Netbackup exit status code 41: