Step-By-Step Instructions for Installation of the Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Management Solution (BESR-MS)/Symantec System Recovery 2011 Management Solution (SSR-MS).
1. Log on to the System selected to be the Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Management Console/Symantec System Recovery 2011 Management Console by using either the Administrator account or an account that has Administrator privileges.
2. Insert the Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Management Solution/Symantec System Recovery 2011 Management Solution DVD into the DVD drive of the computer.
3. In Windows Explorer in the left pane, click My Computer.
4. In the right pane, double-click the name of the product DVD to start the installation.
5. Click on Installation.
6. Click Next.
Note: If the Symantec Installation Manager is not installed, the Symantec Installation Manager - Install Package dialog box appears.
7. Click Continue.
8. Specify the folder where the Symantec Installation Manager files are to be extracted.
9. Click OK to extract the Symantec Installation Manager files.
10. Following the extraction, click OK again to start the Symantec Installation Manager Setup Wizard.
11. At the Welcome panel, click Next.
12. Read the End User License Agreement and check the box next to I accept the terms in the license agreements. Click Next.
13. Click Begin Install. Symantec Installation Manager then gets installed.
14. Click Finish to launch the Symantec Installation manager.
15. On the Install New Products panel, in the Filter drop-down list, select None.
16. Select the following products for BESR 2010
- Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Management Solution
- Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Installer
- Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 LightsOut Restore
- Symantec Management Platform SP2
Note: In case of Symantec System Recovery 2011 Management Solution (SSR-MS), select the following products:
• Symantec System Recovery 2011 Management Solution
• Symantec System Recovery 2011 Installer
• Symantec System Recovery 2011 LightsOut Restore
• Symantec Management Platform SP5
17. The Symantec Installation Manager may automatically select additional software components that are required to complete the installation. Click Review selected products.
18. In the Selected Products and Features panel, review the list of selected products, and then click Next.
19. Read the End User License Agreement and check the box next to I accept the terms in the license agreements. Click Next.
The Symantec Installation Manager runs an install readiness check to make sure that all computer requirements have been met. The results of the install readiness check appear in the Install Readiness check panel.
20. In the Install Readiness Check panel, install any required software before continuing the installation. Where applicable, a link appears in the Install Readiness Check panel that allows installation of the missing software from within the Symantec Installation Manager panel.
Note: If a link does not appear, exit the installation, install the missing software component, and then start the Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Management Solution installation again.
The following options appear in the install Readiness Check panel:
- The requirement and the recommendations are met.
- The requirement is met. Continue with the installation. however, there are some recommendations to consider.
- The requirement is not met. Cannot continue with the installation until the requirement is met. Click the associated link for additional information or to install the required product. After making changes, click Check install readiness again to recheck the system.
Note: A restart may be required after the software is installed.
21. When all the requirements are met in the InstallReadinessCheck panel, continue with the installation.
Note: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition is included on the Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Management Solution media. Symantec recommends that Microsoft SQL Server is installed on a computer separate from the one on which Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Management Solution is installed in order to avoid computer performance issues.
22. Supply a username and password for Notification Server. In the Notification Server Configuration panel, type the appropriate information to complete the panel. Click Next.
23. Create a new SQL database or use an existing one.
24. In the review Installation Details panel, review the installation information. Click Begin Install.
25. After completion, in the installation panel, click Finish to launch the Symantec Management Console.
26. To do anything with Altiris, an agent must first be installed. From Settings, Agents/Plug-ins, Altiris Agent, Settings, Altiris Agent Install, select one or more computers to receive the Altiris Agent.
27. Once the computers that will receive the agent have been selected, click on the Save changes button.
*Note: A reboot is necessary to complete this operation.
28. Click Start, Programs, Altiris, Symantec Installation manager. Run Symantec Installation Manager.
29. From here, select Install new products.
a. change the Filter By: to None.
b. change Filter: to None.
c. Scroll down and select Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Installer SP1. When this is done, Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Management Solution should also be checked.
30. Accept the End User License Agreement. (EULA) Click Next.
31. Enter the Contact Information.
32. Proceed with the install.
33. Start the Altiris Console again.
34. Select the Home icon, Backup and Recovery, Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Management Solution.
Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 management Solution main page.
When this is done, Option 2 should display a green check mark.
Note that this process is done when the Altiris Agent icon appears in the system tray.
35. Install the plug-in for Backup Exec System Recovery by clicking on the link "3. Install the Plug-in for Backup Exec System Recovery".
36. Apply this plug-in to selected computer(s).
37. Select the Save Changes button.
Note: This can take a few minutes to complete.
The Altiris Agent opens communication between the Management Console and the target machine(s). The Backup Exec System Recovery Plug-in allows the agent to interpret Backup Exec System Recovery commands between the Management console and the target machine(s).
Step 4. With or without the User Interface, installs Backup Exec System Recovery onto the target machine(s). This requires a reboot and when done, the Backup Exec System Recovery icon should appear in the System Tray.