Basic troubleshooting steps when the DeDuplication folder shows "Offline" in Backup Exec.
- Open Windows Services, for that click Start, Run, type services.msc and click OK.
- Check if the Backup Exec Deduplication Engine and Backup Exec Deduplication Manager services status and startup type. (see Figure 1.).
- Startup Type should be Automatic and Status as Started, if not, then set it to Automatic and start both the deduplication services.
- Open the Backup Exec console, go to Tools> Backup Exec Services and restart all Backup Exec services. After this Deduplication Storage folder should come online. If any of the deduplication service fails to start or if Deduplication storage folder is still offline, go to next step.
- If the Backup Exec Deduplication Engine service fails to start, check that the PostgresSQL Server 8.3 service is running. If needed, stop the Deduplication Engine Service, then stop Deduplication Manager Service and stop PostgreSQL Server 8.3 Service. Once done, first start the PostgresSQL Server 8.3 service, then start the Deduplication Manager Service and then try to start the Deduplication Engine Service.
- After all Deduplication related services are restarted, recycle the Backup Exec Services.
- Now the Deduplication folder should show Online in the Backup Exec console.