How to export media using export media template in Backup Exec 11d and above for Windows Servers
The export media template can be used to set up an export media utility job that runs automatically after a backup or duplicate backup set job completes. If the targeted device is a library with a portal, the export media job moves the media from its slot in the portal and generates an alert reminding to remove the media from the portal. Select a vault to move the media to after it is exported from the robotic library slots. If the device is a library that does not have a portal, the export media job will generate an alert reminding to remove the media from the indicated slot.
The export media template must be part of a multi-template policy. There must be a source template that produces media and initiates the export job. For example, to export media after a monthly full backup completes, set up a policy with a backup template for the monthly full backup job and set up an export template to run after the monthly full job completes. If a job requires multiple pieces of media, the export media job starts after the source backup job completes, not after each piece of media is filled.
When creating an export media template, Backup Exec automatically adds the After <Template A> completes, start <Template B> to export media template rule to the policy. Backup Exec replaces <Template A> with the name of the template selected as the source for the export media template, such as a backup template. Backup Exec replaces <Template B> with the export media template.
To add an export media template to a policy:
1. Set up a new policy. For information about setting a new policy, please see "Creating a new policy" in the Symantec Backup Exec Administrator's Guide.
2. Set up a backup template, which will be the media-producing template that is the source for the export job.
3. On the New Policy dialog box, click New Template.
4. On the Template Selection dialog box, select Export Media Template, and then click
Note: The Export Media template displays only if the policy contains a backup template.
5. Select the media-producing template to use as the source for the export job.
For example, to export media after the monthly full backup completes, select the template for monthly full backups as the source media set template.
6. On the Properties pane, under Settings, click General. Type a name for this export media template.
7. To move the media to a media vault after a successful export, on the Properties pane, under Settings, click Options, and select a media vault.
8. To set up notification for this job, on the Properties pane, under Settings, click Notification.
Note: The export media job must run according to the template rule, so no schedule options have to be set for this job.
10. Click OK.
Backup Exec adds the template rule called After <Template A> completes, start <Template B> to export media. The template is complete.
Note: Another template can be added or combine the policy with a selection list. For more information, see "Creating jobs using policies" in the Symantec Backup Exec Administrator's Guide.