Introducing the Backup Exec Support Tool (BE_ST)
About the Backup Exec Support Tool:
The ‘Tools’ menu has been replaced by the “Backup Exec Button”. This is the large yellow and black button with the disk/tape storage graphic in the top left corner of the user interface. From the Backup Exec Button menu, select sub-menu >Technical Support >Run the support tool to resolve issues.
- Errors - These reports represent issues that could potentially cause Backup Exec or one of its Agents to have problems.
- Warnings - These reports represent issues which should warrant some attention, but probably aren't critical.
- Ok - These Reports represent data points which the Support Tool did not find any issues with.
- Information - Provides a summary of general information regarding the system, such as available disk space, operating system information, etc. A full breakdown of exactly what is being checked can be located here
B. Click the 'Exit' icon to exit the "Errors and Warnings were detected" screen.
4. To collect data for Symantec Backup Exec Technical Support, click "Save full data for support".
- Click on either 'Backup Exec' or 'Symantec / BE System Recovery' to expand the list of items to gather.
- Select only the logs that Technical Support has requested as the file created may consume a large amount of disk space.
- Refer to the inline help for additional details about the log collection.
5. When the data collection process is complete, the following dialog box will be displayed:
Explanation of fields:
Name : Enter your name or the name of the customer.
Company : Enter your company or the company name of the customer.
Case : Enter the case number received from either creating a case online or calling Technical Support. (This is a mandatory field)
Contact : The contact information usually in the form of phone number(s) and email address(es). Please include the time zone or GMT differential and hours of availability.
Issue : Reason why the report is run and what needs to be investigated by Support.
Save File : Location for the report file to be saved.
- On windows 7, the Support Tool may be unable to save the report file to the root of C:\. You will need to specify an alternate location to save the report file.
- On Windows 2008, the progress indicator may not update. This is due to security settings configured within Windows and Internet Explorer, and will not affect the use of this utility.
6. Click OK to save the file. It will also provide an option to send the results to an upload-only Symantec FTP server.
- Click Yes to start the upload.
- Click No to return to the "Review Reports" screen