Backup of Enterprise Vault Servers fails with V-79-57344-38146 - Backup Exec cannot place the Enterprise Vault vault stores or index locations into backup mode
Backup Exec cannot place the Enterprise Vault vault stores or index locations into backup mode. Ensure that the selection is valid for a backup operation, and then try the job again.
This issue can be caused by two situations.
This error occurs because the account used for backing up Enterprise Vault (EV) does not have all of the following permissions
- Manage Vault Store Backup Mode.
- Manage Index Location Backup Mode.
Note: In some instances you may need to add the Manage Enterprise Vault task.
This error also occurs if legacy Enterprise Vault 7.5 registry keys are detected by EV 8.0 during backup operations. If the legacy keys are detected, the following error appears:
The above permissions will need to be added to the backup account in the EV Authorization Manager (Enterprise Vault 10 and 11).
1. In the EV Admin console, right click on Directory on the EV server and select 'Authorization Manager...'.
2. Expand 'Definitions' then right click on 'Role Definitions' and select 'New Role Definition'.
3. Give the definition a name like 'Backup Role' or something else descriptive for the Backup role.
4. Click 'Add' to add tasks, click the 'Tasks' tab, and add both 'EVT manage Index Location Backup Mode' , 'EVT Manage Vault Store Backup Mode' and ' EVT Manage Vault Store'
5. Click OK.
6. Right click on Role Assignments and select 'Assign Roles...' Locate the Role Definition you just created and check it.
7. Click OK.
8. Right click on the Role Assignment you created and select 'Assign Windows Users and Groups'.
9. Add the Backup Exec ID to the object list and click 'Check Names' to be sure that the name is resolved.
10. Click OK.
For Enterprise Vault 12, new built-in administration roles have been created. In order to protect Vault Stores, the "Storage Administrator" role needs to be assigned. In order to protect "Index locations", the "Power Administrator" role needs to be assigned.
2. Start the Enterprise Vault Administration Shell
3. Type the following commands:
- Add-EVRbaRoleMember -identity "Storage Administrator" -Members "<backup exec logon account>"
- Add-EVRbaRoleMember -identity "Power Administrator" -Members "<backup exec logon account>"
2. Restart all Enterprise Vault services.
3. Retry the backup operation.