Hyper-V guest backups fail with: "Virtual machine 'SERVER-' has been excluded from the backup because it must be put in a saved state to back up."
Virtual machine "GUEST" has been excluded from the backup because it must be put in a saved state to back up.
In situations where Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) is being used to manage Hyper-V guests, outdated tools and Hyper-V integration components may cause the backup job to fail even if the virtual machine meets all the other pre-requisites for an online backup.
This is due to API calls made to the Hyper-V VSS writer and VSS writers inside the guest, which allow for successful enumeration and backup of guest machines.
Hyper-V SCVMM 2008 R1 tools may cause this issue.
NOTE: Symantec recommends that SCVMM 2008 R2 be installed to manage any environment that is protected by Backup Exec 12.5 or greater.
- Remove the SCVMM 2008 R1 tools from the Guest Virtual Machine.
- Reboot the Guest Virtual Machine.
- Upgrade Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manger (SCVMM) to 2008 R2 version or above.
- Push tools to any guests by right clicking on the guest machine from SCVMM 2008 R2 or above console and selecting: "Install virtual guest services".
- Re-attempt the Backup Exec Hyper-V Agent guest backup.