How to install the Unknown Medium Changer Driver for a Medium Changer on a Windows 2008 Media Server
When troubleshooting Tape Library detection issues, it needs to be verified the hardware is detected properly by the Operating System in the Windows Device Manager. Open the Device Manager in Windows and verify the hardware is present. Verify the controller, tape drive(s), and robotic library (if applicable and will need to show as an Unknown Medium Changer) are present in Windows Device Manager: In case a Medium Changer is present in the Device Manager and using OEM drivers e.g. "HP" or "Dell", this needs to be changed to Unknown Medium Changer for the device to properly function and be detected by Backup Exec.
To change the O.E.M. Drivers to Unknown Medium Changer on Windows 2008:
1) Open the Device Manager, go to Medium Changers, right click the Medium Changer listed, click Properties, and click Drivers tab.
2) Under Drivers tab click Update drivers, then Update Driver Software Wizard will open as shown
3) Now Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
4) Now the "Select device driver you want to install for this hardware." Box will appear with the list of available drivers as shown
5) Select "Unknown Medium Changer" driver and click Next.