ProblemV-5-1-1589 enable failed: Volboot file not loaded
Volume Manager does not start during boot up after installation
ERROR CODE/ MESSAGE:
VxVM sysboot INFO V-5-2-3409 starting in boot mode...
NOTICE: VxVM vxdmp V-5-0-34 added disk array DISKS, datype = Disk
NOTICE: VxVM vxdmp V-5-0-0 removed disk array FAKE_ENCLR_SNO, datype = FAKE_ARRAY
Mar 9 03:45:07 vxvm:vxconfigd: V-5-1-1589 enable failed: Volboot file not loaded
Mar 9 03:45:07 vxvm:vxconfigd: transactions are disabled.
Check OS version: (verify if the product is supported)
# uname -a
Check if package was properly installed(completely):
# pkginfo -l VRTSvxvm
Check if Volume Manager modules were loaded:
# modinfo | egrep -i "vx|vrts"
Check if install-db file exists: (if it exists, delete the file)
# ls -l /etc/vx/reconfig.d/state.d/install-db
If install-db file exists then it is the reason why Volume Manager was not able to start up during boot up.
Install-db file exist causing Volume Manager not to start up automatically during boot up and volboot file was not created properly during installation.
Other possible cause:
- "installonly" option is used during installation
- Ran installer with "-configure" but failed to initialize VM and remove the "install-db" file
- Remove install-db file so that Volume Manager will automatically start during boot up
- Create volboot file by running "vxdctl init"
- Enable Volume Manager by running "vxdctl enable"
- Verify volume manager mode by running "vxdctl mode" to check if it is now in enable mode.
- Check if you can now run Veritas commands such as "vxdisk list"