You can create a schedule to convert recovery points and recovery points to a VMware virtual disk (.vmdk format) or a Microsoft virtual disk (.vhd format). You can also convert recovery points directly to VMware ESX Server. You can find a list of platforms that support the virtual disks that are created from recovery points in the software compatibility list.
See the Symantec System Recovery Software Compatibility List document.
See Defining a virtual conversion job to learn more about the available options.
To define a virtual conversion job in Symantec System Recovery
- On the Tasks menu, click Run or Manage Virtual Conversions.
- On the toolbar, click Define New, and then select the virtual disk type (and version, if applicable) that you want to create.
- In the Source panel, select the recovery points you want to convert.
- In the Virtual Disks Destination panel, select a local or network path where you want to place the virtual disk files and images.
Note: Symantec recommends that you select a secure remote network location as the virtual conversion over a network is unencrypted. If the virtual disk files and images are stored on a local computer, select a protected folder. Only privileged users or an administrator should have the rights to access the folder. The recommendation also applies to a one-time virtual conversion of a recovery point to a virtual disk.
- In the General Options and Conversion Time panels, set the conversion options and conversion job schedule.
- If you want to run the new conversion job immediately, click Run virtual conversion now. This option is not available if you selected the Only run once option in the Conversion Time panel.
- Click Finish.