Vmware backup of the VMware Virtual Machine on Backup Exec 20.3 may skip VMDK backup if Global Excludes configured.
When used Backup Exec 20.3, it has been seen that having a VM level backup selection along with global exclusion defined (like some-path\*.*) in a VMware Agent backup job, can cause the disks of VM guest servers to be skipped.
The backup job will be reported as 'Completed with Exceptions' in Job Monitor.
Note: Hyper-V and Remote Agent backups are not affected.
The below message will be displayed in job log for each VM Guest server affected.
The job will 'Completed with Exceptions' and the below message will be displayed for each VM Guest server affected
"Virtual disk 'xxxx.vmdk' is skipped during the backup of virtual machine 'xxxxxxxx' as it is not part of the selection list. Volumes and applications on this disk are not available for restore."
A hotfix is now available for this issue in the current version of the product mentioned in this article. Please refer to the Hotfix link under Related Articles to obtain the hotfix needed to resolve the issue.
Backup Exec 20.3 Revision 1188 Hotfix (100044342)
- Remove the global exclude entries having path ‘<path>\*.*’ and continue the Virtual Machine level backups.
- Modify the global excludes with specific file types (i.e. <path>\*.mp4), instead of ‘<path>\*.*’) and continue the Virtual Machine level backups.
- Perform a Remote Agent based backup of the Virtual Machine.
Veritas strongly recommends the following best practices
- Always run a backup job that includes all critical system components before you make any changes to your environment.
- Always make sure that your environment is running the latest version and patch level.
- Please perform periodic "test" restores.
Was this content helpful?
Rating submitted. Please provide additional feedback (optional):