Hit Highlighting causes certain Instant Message contents to be displayed out of sequence in the preview pane.
Viewing certain Instant Message items in the preview pane of EV Search or the Compliance Accelerator (CA) or Discovery Accelerator (DA) preview pane shows the conversation text above the conversation timestamp lines.
When any archived item is found by an EV Search operation or by a CA or DA search, the item is typically reviewed with the search term(s) used to find it highlighted in a yellow background with black foreground. This preview is showing a representation of the item in HTML format. The use of hit highlighting modifies the HTML rendering by adding the HTML formatting anchors that begin and end the highlighting area. This action causes the anchors for the IM conversation text to be misplaced which throws off the sequence of the conversation text with the time stamps of those entries.
The workaround is to turn off the hit highlighting. This action will allow the proper display of the conversations in the preview pane but removes the ability to quickly find the search term(s) used to find the item being previewed.
To turn off the hit highlighting in CA or DA:
- Launch the CA or DA Client using an account with permissions to change configuration settings, such as the Vault Service Account (VSA).
- Click on the Configuration tab.
- Click on the Settings sub-tab.
- Locate and expand the Reviewing section.
- Locate the option 'Hit Highlighting Type' and change the Value column entry from
- Click any other area of the Settings sub-tab to remove the focus from the option and enable the Save button.
- Click on the Save button.
For DA, these steps are all that is needed to disable the hit highlighting. For CA, these additional steps must be completed:
- Click on the OK button in the pop-up box to acknowledge the requirement to restart the Remoting and Customer Background Tasks processes.
- Close the CA or DA Client.
- Log onto the CA or DA server as the VSA.
- Launch the Services applet.
- Locate and restart the Enterprise Vault Accelerator Manager Service.
- When the service restart has completed, close the Services applet.
- Launch Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge to the EVBAAdmin site (http://localhost/EVBAAdmin).
- In the left panel, left click on the CA or DA customer name to view its properties in the right panel.
- In the left panel, right click on the CA or DA customer name to obtain a pop-up with available options.
- Click on the Customer Background Tasks option to remove the check mark from in front of this option.
- Monitor the Status area in the right panel to see the status change from Running to Stopping to Stopped.
- When the status is Stopped, right click on the customer name to obtain the pop-up of options again.
- Click on the Customer Background Tasks option to place a check mark in front of this option.
- Monitor the Status area in the right panel to see the status change from Stopped to Starting to Running.
When the status is back to 'Running' the CA or DA users may launch their clients and proceed to work as normal but without the hit highlighting available.
For EV Search, each user must:
- Launch their web browser to the EV Search site.
- Right click on their name to obtain a pop-up of the available options.
- Select the Preferences option.
- Click the Hit Highlighting option in the Preferences page.
- Remove the check mark in the check box of the option Enable for reading pane.
- Click the OK button to save this change.
To turn the hit highlighting on, go through the appropriate steps above but change the option specification (type back to 1 or check mark in the check box).
This issue has been addressed in the following release(s):
Enterprise Vault 12.4.1
Was this content helpful?
Rating submitted. Please provide additional feedback (optional):