Use these instructions to download and upgrade the Access Appliance from version 7.3.2 to 7.4.2. For complete upgrade details, see the Access Appliance Upgrade Guide.
- Run the software self-test on each of the appliance nodes to verify the status of the appliance software components. Ensure that you run a self-test on each of the appliance nodes that you want to upgrade. The self-test must complete with a PASS status. For detailed instruction on how to run a self-test, please refer to the Access Appliance Upgrade Guide.
- CVE-2017-5715 (Spectre variant 2) is an indirect branching poisoning attack that can lead to data leakage. This attack allows a virtual guest to read memory from the host system. If you have not already installed the patch to resolve this vulnerability, install this Emergency Engineering Binary (EEB) when you upgrade from Access 3340 Appliance version 7.3.2 to 7.4.2. For detailed instruction on how to install this EEB, please refer to the Access Appliance Upgrade Guide.
Downloading and Installation Instructions
The following procedures describe how to download and install the Access Appliance software release updates.
About the Veritas Access 3340 Appliance upgrade
Veritas Access 3340 Appliance supports the following upgrade methods:
- Rolling upgrade: Use this method if the Veritas Access 3340 Appliance is configured and the appliance nodes are part of the Veritas Access cluster.
- Node-by-node upgrade: Use this method if the appliance nodes are in factory state.
Note: The appliance nodes that are in the Not in Access cluster state cannot be upgraded. You can reset a node to the default factory settings, and then upgrade the node.
Downloading the appliance software release updates
Appliance software updates can be downloaded by using the Access Appliance shell menu or manually through a share. Updates must be downloaded to the appliance before you start the upgrade.
- For a rolling upgrade, download the software upgrade package to one of the nodes in the cluster.
- For a node-by-node upgrade, download the software upgrade package to each node that you want to upgrade.
Downloading software updates directly to an Access 3340 appliance node
1. Open an SSH session and log on to the appliance as an administrator using the Access Appliance shell menu.
The Main_Menu view is displayed.
2. To determine if a software update is available from the Veritas Support website, enter the following command:
Main_Menu > Manage > Software > List AvailablePatch
The software release update that is available for installation is displayed. Note the name of the software release update package name. For example, VRTSaccess-app-update-7.4.2-1.x86_64.rpm
3. To download the available software update, enter the following command:
Main_Menu > Manage > Software > Download update_name
where update_name is the name of the software release update package.
Main_Menu > Manage > Software > Download VRTSaccess-app-update-7.4.2-1.x86_64.rpm
4. To verify that the software update has downloaded successfully, enter the following command:
Main_Menu > Manage > Software > List Downloaded
The downloaded software update is validated and details such as the patch name, size, and version are displayed.
Downloading software updates to an Access 3340 appliance node using a client share
To download software release update to an appliance node using a CIFS or an NFS client share, complete the following steps:
1. Open an SSH session and log on to the appliance as an administrator using the Access Appliance Shell Menu.
2. To open an NFS or a CIFS share, enter the following command:
Main_Menu > Manage > Software > Share Open
Note: If you experience a 'time-out' or 'denied' error when mounting the NFS share on your client computer, refer to the Veritas Access 7.3.2 Release Notes for details about how to bring the NFS server online.
3. Mount the appliance share directory as follows:
For NFS: Node_management_IP:/inst/patch/incoming
For CIFS: \\Node_managemet_IP\incoming_patches
where Node_managemet_IP is the IP address that is assigned to eth1 of each node.
4. Download the upgrade package files and the MD5 and SHA1 checksums.
- Release updates: Refer the links in attachments section to download the split tar files form the Veritas SORT website.
- MD5 and SHA1 checksums: Refer the links in attachments section to download a text file that contains the MD5 and SHA1 checksums
Verify that the downloaded MD5 or SHA1 checksums match those in the file on the Veritas SORT website.
5. Use the following command to merge and extract the release update .rpm files:
cat VRTSaccess-app-N-7.4.2-1.x86_64-tar-split.1of3 VRTSaccess-app-N-7.4.2-1.x86_64-tar-split.2of3 VRTSaccess-app-N-7.4.2-1.x86_64-tar-split.3of3 | tar xvf -
The resulting files are:
6. Run one of the following commands to compute the checksum of the rpm file:
7. Copy this release update to the mounted share.
Note: To avoid any issues, ensure that you do not run commands on the appliance nodes when you copy the update.
8. Unmount the shared directory after copying the update.
9. Close the NFS and the CIFS shares by using the command:
Main_Menu > Manage > Software > Share Close
10. List the downloaded files by using the command:
Main_Menu > Manage > Software > List Downloaded
The downloaded update is validated and details such as the patch name, size, and version are displayed.
Upgrading Access 3340 Appliance version 7.3.2 to 7.4.2
- For a rolling upgrade, install the software update on the node where you downloaded the upgrade package.
- For a node-by-node upgrade, install the software update on each node that you want to upgrade.
To install the downloaded software release update, complete the following steps:
1. Connect to the Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) console of the node where you downloaded the software update package.
Note: Veritas recommends that you log in using the Access Appliance shell menu from the IPMI console instead of an SSH session. The IPMI console is also known as the Veritas Remote Management Console. For details about how to access and use the Veritas Remote Management Console, refer to the Veritas Access Appliance Initial Configuration and Administration Guide.
2. Log in to the Access Appliance shell menu.
3. To install the software release update, run the following command:
Main_Menu > Manage > Software > Install patch_name
where patch_name is the name of the software release update that you want to install.
A summary of the upgrade changes is displayed and you are prompted for confirmation. Review the details and type yes to continue.
4. Monitor the preflight check and check if any Check failed messages are displayed. After the preflight check completes, you have the following options:
- If Check failed messages are not displayed and the preflight check completes successfully, the Pre-flight check finished successfully message is displayed and you are prompted to continue to the next step.
- If a Check failed message is displayed, the upgrade cannot continue. You must resolve the reported failures, and then install the update again (see step 3) so that the preflight check can verify that the failures have been resolved. For information about how to resolve the reported issues, refer to the technical articles corresponding to the displayed UMI codes (V-409-xxx-xxxx).
5. When the following message is displayed and you are promoted for confirmation, type
yes to continue:
This software update requires a reboot of the appliance after the installation process completes. Do you want to continue? (yes/no)
6. To check the upgrade status, run the following command:
Main_Menu > Manage > Software > UpgradeStatus
The details about the completed tasks and the completion status are displayed.
If the upgrade fails at any point in time, error messages and the details about possible solutions are displayed and a rollback operation is initiated automatically. After the rollback is completed successfully, the Rollback is done message is displayed.
If the software update is installed successfully, the following message is displayed:
This appliance node is not in upgrade state.
To ensure that the appliance is upgraded successfully, run the Main_Menu > Appliance > Status command and verify the Access version and the appliance version.
Access Appliance Software Updates Download Links
Click the following links to download the Access Appliance software version 7.4.2 updates:
Was this content helpful?
Rating submitted. Please provide additional feedback (optional):