How to migrate (move) Backup Exec from one computer to another using the same version of Backup Exec and Windows, and the same computer name
How to migrate (move) Backup Exec from one computer to another using the same version of Backup Exec and Windows, and the same computer name.
Review the following notes first:
• Veritas recommends that you use a similar hardware configuration and the same SQL Server version and instance name on the destination computer.
• To move computers that are in a CASO environment, you must first remove the source computer from the Central Admin Server Option (CASO) environment by making it a standalone computer. Then move Backup Exec to the destination computer by using the attached procedures, and then rejoin it to the CASO environment. For instructions, see the Backup Exec 2014 Administrator’s Guide.
• The domain/workgroup information must be the same on the source and the destination Backup Exec server.
Use the procedures in the attached PDF for the following scenarios:
• Moving an installation of Backup Exec from one 32-bit computer to another 32-bit computer.
• Moving an installation of Backup Exec from one 64-bit computer to another 64-bit computer.
• Moving an installation of Backup Exec from a 32-bit computer to a 64-bit computer.
• Rebuilding the same server (reinstalling the operating system and Backup Exec, and then restoring the saved Backup Exec program data).
Note: The Backup Exec SQL Instance used was installed by Backup Exec (SQL Express 2008 R2 SP2)
Do not use the procedures in the attached PDF if any of the following conditions are true, otherwise you will have to reinstall and reconfigure Backup Exec:
• If Backup Exec is clustered.
• If the computer where Backup Exec is installed and the computer where it will be installed are running two different versions of the Windows operating system, or running different service packs.
• If you plan to move Backup Exec to a different drive/directory on the server.
• If you are upgrading from one version/revision (build) of Backup Exec to another.
• If the Backup Exec Exchange Mailbox Archiving Option or the Backup Exec File System Archiving Option is installed
Related Knowledge Base Articles
Was this content helpful?
Rating submitted. Please provide additional feedback (optional):