Veritas Flex Appliance Getting Started and Administration Guide
- Product overview
- Getting started
- Modifying settings
- Configuring Call Home
- Managing users
- Using Flex Appliance
- Managing applications and upgrade packages in the repository
- Creating application instances
- Managing application instances
- Monitoring the appliance
- Reconfiguring the appliance
- Troubleshooting guidelines
Creating a NetBackup media server instance
Use the following procedure to create a NetBackup media server instance in Flex Appliance.
To create a NetBackup media server instance
- Make sure that the NetBackup media server application you want to use is located in the repository. See Managing applications and upgrade packages in the repository.
- Perform the following tasks if you have not already:
- Gather the following information for the new instance:
Tenant that you want to assign it to
Master server hostname
CA certificate fingerprint
NetBackup hosts must have a Certificate Authority (CA) certificate for successful communication. The CA certificate fingerprint is required to set up trust with the master server, which acts as the CA.
(Optional) Token for host ID-based certificate
Depending on the master server security level, the host may require an authorization or a reissue token. If you do not specify a token when you create the instance, the wizard attempts to automatically obtain the certificate.
(Optional) Password for host name-based certificate
A host name-based certificate is mandatory for CloudCatalyst storage or if Enhanced Auditing is enabled on the master server. You can specify the password when you create the instance, or you can deploy the certificate from the master server later.
(Optional) NetBackup license key
NetBackup applications come with an evaluation license key. You must add a permanent NetBackup license key before the evaluation key expires. You can add your permanent key when you create the instance to avoid future issues.
If the evaluation key expires before you create the instance, the instance creation fails. Make sure that you have a valid license key before you create an instance.
- Add the hostname for the new instance to the Media Servers list on the master server, as follows:
Log on to the NetBackup Administration Console as the administrator.
In the main console window, in the left pane, click NetBackup Management > Host Properties > Master Servers.
In the right pane, click on the master server hostname.
In the Host Properties window, click Servers > Media Servers.
Click Add and enter the hostname for the new instance. The hostname should appear in the Media Servers list.
- If a firewall exists between the master server and the new instance, open the following ports on the master server to allow communication:
If the master server is a NetBackup appliance that uses TCP, open the following ports:
443, 5900, and 7578.
- Sign in to the Flex Appliance Console and click Create Instance on the home page.
- Select the appropriate media server application from the repository list, making sure to verify the version number. Click Next.
- Follow the prompts to create the instance. When you are done, you can view the progress in the Activity Monitor, which is accessible from the left pane of the Flex Appliance Console.
For maximum resize potential, Veritas suggests that you allocate at least 1 TB of storage for each of your storage selections when you create an instance. If you allocate less than 1 TB of storage, you cannot resize the storage past 32 TB in the future.
- Once the instance has been created successfully, you must change the password from the known default password. To change the password, open an SSH session to the instance and log in with the following credentials:
User name: appadmin
Follow the prompt to enter a new password.
- Create the storage servers for your selected storage, as follows:
Log on to the NetBackup Administration Console and select either NetBackup Management or Media and Device Management.
If you selected AdvancedDisk or Media Server Deduplication Pool (MSDP) storage for the instance, click Configure Disk Storage Servers and follow the prompts to create the storage servers. Enter the following storage information for AdvancedDisk and MSDP:
AdvancedDisk storage volume:
MSDP storage path:
If the MSDP disk pool spans multiple volumes, only select vol0.
If you selected a CloudCatalyst cache for the instance, click Configure Cloud Storage Servers and follow the prompts to create the storage servers. Enter the following local cache directory for CloudCatalyst:
See the following guides for additional information on NetBackup storage configuration:
The NetBackup AdvancedDisk Storage Solutions Guide
The NetBackup Deduplication Guide
- If you did not select MSDP storage for the instance, the instance creation is complete after you create the storage servers. You can skip the remaining steps in this procedure.
If you did select MSDP storage for the instance, tune the NetBackup parameters as follows:
Log in to the instance and run the following command:
sudo /opt/veritas/vxapp-manage/tune -t
From the appadmin
tmpdirectory, restart the pdde-storage and mtstrmd processes with the following commands:
sudo /etc/init.d/pdde-storage force-stop
sudo /etc/init.d/pdde-storage start
sudo /usr/openv/pdde/pdag/bin/mtstrmd -terminate
Tuning the NetBackup parameters optimizes backup performance and memory usage for the instance. If you skip this step, you may experience backup failures and other performance degradation.
- If you allocated more than 80 TB of MSDP storage for the instance, you need to resize the MSDP storage partition. Run the following command:
You also need to perform this step if you provision more than 80 TB of storage for MSDP at a later time. You do not need to perform this step if you resize a smaller amount of existing MSDP storage over 80 TB after you create the instance.