Backup Exec 2012 upgrade fails to install leaving the Backup Exec database instance in single user mode with error 1627 or error 2259
During upgrade to Backup Exec 2012 the installation fails and reports the Backup Exec database SQL instance (BKUPEXEC) is in single user mode. Only one administrator can connect at this time. The Backup Exec 2012 installation will fail and roll back and the existing Backup Exec service may not start.
ERROR: Failed to install SQL Express BKUPEXEC instance with error 1627 or error 2259.
V-225-206: Connection attempt 1 failed: Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\Administrator'. Reason: Server is in single user mode. Only one administrator can connect at this time.
V-225-210: Unable to connect to SQL Server SERVER\BKUPEXEC.
The current Backup Exec SQL instance (BKUPEXEC) is using is in a suspended installation state. This could have been caused by a failed attempt to apply a SQL 2005 Express service pack to the BKUPEXEC instance and the installation never completed successfully.
NOTE: Backup Exec could also be installed in another SQL Instance exhibiting the same issue.
Backup Exec 2012 requires SQL 2005 SP4 which is applied during the time of the upgrade of Backup Exec. If the SQL Express 2005 SP4 fails to install Backup Exec 2012 will fail to install.
Attempting to manually apply SQL 2005 Express SP4 to the BKUPEXEC or SQL instance fails with the following errors below in the SQL install log:
%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix or %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\
Error Code: 1627
MSI (s) Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition -- Error 2259. The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The error code is 2259. Database: Table(s) Update failed
Error 2259. The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The error code is 2259. Database: Table(s) Update failed
1. Stop all Backup Exec services.
2. Restart the SQLServer (BKUPEXEC) SQL service or the SQL instance service that the Backup Exec database resides in.
3. Repair the existing SQL 2005 Express (BKUPEXEC) or SQL instance.. Reference Microsoft Article : (971818)
Note: When repairing the Existing SQL 2005 Express instance you may be prompted for the SQL 2005 Express installation and media. It will be necessary to have the correct SQL 2005 Express media (Service Pack Media) available before attempting the repair. To determine the current SQL 2005 Express Version and Service Pack Level reference the several methods and command that can be used in Microsoft Article (321184).
4. Once the Existing Version is determined download the SQL Express 2005 installation file and extract it to a folder with a utility that can extract the .exe file (Winrar or another utility). (Example if the existing SQL Version is 9.0.4035 download SQL 2005 Express SP3 SQLEXPR.EXE).
5. Extract SQLEXPR.EXE to a folder.
6. When the repair of the SQL 2005 Express installation prompts for the source files browse to \setup folder. The repair of the existing SQL 2005 Express instance should complete successfully.
7. Upgrade to Backup Exec 2012.
Backup Exec 2012 upgrade.
Related Knowledge Base Articles
Was this content helpful?
Rating submitted. Please provide additional feedback (optional):