How to configure Hot Catalog Backups with NetBackup (tm) 6.x/7.x
Backing up the NetBackup catalogs is essential to proper maintenance of a NetBackup environment. To aid in this practice, NetBackup 6.0 introduced the concept of Hot Catalog Backups. Hot Catalog Backups do not have the limitation of needing to run when no other backup is running, so this greatly simplifies the scheduling of catalog backups.
Hot Catalog Backups are configured on the NetBackup Master Server. They will automatically backup all for all necessary servers in the NetBackup environment, as well as the Disaster Recovery Information file which is created. All of these components are necessary to completely recover NetBackup catalogs.
2. In the first screen of the NetBackup Catalog Backup Wizard, click Next.
3. On the Catalog Backup Method screen, verify that Online, hot catalog backup is selected and click Next.
4. On the NetBackup Catalog Backup Policy screen, verify that Create a new catalog backup policy is selected, click Next.
5. On the Policy Name and Type screen, enter a valid Policy name and click Next.
6. On the Backup Type screen, select to do a Full Backup. If desired, select to perform an Incremental Backup, either Incremental or Differential. Click Next.
7. On the Rotation screen, set the desired rotation frequency and click Next.
8. On the Start Window screen, select the desired Start Window. Because these are Hot Catalog backups, the Start Window does not need to be outside of the Start Window for normal backups. Click Next.
9. On the Catalog Disaster Recovery Method screen, select whether to use Disk and Tape, Disk only, or Tape only. If using disk, provide an appropriate path. This path is usually a location other than where NetBackup is installed. Provide Logon and Password information if necessary. For tape, provide an appropriate Media ID and Media density. Click Next.
10. On the E-mail Catalog Disaster Recovery Information screen, choose either Yes or No to have the Disaster Recovery Information stored via email. Provide an appropriate E-mail address and click Next.
11. To save the Hot Catalog Backup policy, click Finish.
12. After NetBackup finishes adding the policy, verify it appears on the NetBackup Catalog Backup Policy screen. This time, verify that Create a new catalog backup policy is not selected and click Next.
13. You have now finished the Catalog backup configuration process. Click Finish to exit the wizard.
Click the Download Now link below to see a short tutorial of this process to configure Hot Catalog Backups. This tutorial contains audio. The tutorial was recorded in UNIX, but the process is the same for both UNIX and Windows.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE OPENING THE TUTORIAL: In the Internet Explorer window, click the red 'X' to stop loading, then press the F5 key to refresh the screen. This should allow the tutorial to load.
PLEASE Note: The attached tutorial is an .SWF file that requires the Macromedia Flash Player. If this application is not loaded on your computer, it can be downloaded from the following link: https://www.macromedia.com/downloads/ .
Was this content helpful?
Rating submitted. Please provide additional feedback (optional):