How to recover the master server catalog if the catalog backup images are stored on an MSDP pool which is hosted by a separate media server.
On master server
1. Configure the target Storage Server:
The storage server attributes must match those of the original storage server as documented in the Catalog backup's disaster recovery file. To determine these attributes, open the DR file and examine the fragment records as shown in the following example:
# FRAG: c# f# K rem mt den fn id/path host bs off md dwo f_flags f_unused1 exp mpx rl chkpt rsm_nbr seq_no media_subtype keep_date copy_date i_unused1
FRAGMENT 1 -1 38 970 0 39 0 @aaaa8 dorna 262144 0 0 -1 0 1;PureDisk;dorna;DiskPool1;dv02;0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6 0 0 0
FRAGMENT 1 1 2912 0 0 0 0 @aaaa8 dorna 262144 0 0 -1 0 1;PureDisk;dorna;DiskPool1;dv02;01226440313 0 65537 0 0 0 6 0 225230725 0
The important attributes are held in the media descriptor record which is shown in bold above. PureDisk is the Storage Server type, dorna is the Storage Server Name (in this case also the master and media server), DiskPool1 is the Disk Pool and dv02 is the Disk Volume. These values are used in the example commands shown below.
It is also necessary to use the original username and password. The username can be found in the following file:
If the MSDP server is an Appliance, recover the password through the CLISH.
a. On Unix/Linux run:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbdevconfig –creatests –storage_server dorna –media_server dorna –st 9 –stype PureDisk
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig –add –storage_server dorna –sts_user_id userid –password pword –stype PureDisk
b. On Windows run:
<install path>\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbdevconfig –creatests –storage_server dorna –media_server dorna –st 9 –stype PureDisk
<install path>\volmgr\bin\tpconfig –add –storage_server dorna –sts_user_id userid –password pword –stype PureDisk
2. Restart the NetBackup services on the master server and then the media server.
Windows: <install_path>\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpdown -v -f and bpup -v -f
Unix/Linux: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/netbackup stop and netbackup start
3. In the Administration console, open up the Storage Server properties within the Credentials section. Input the path to the MSDP pool, ex: M:\Msdp. Also input the Spalogin and Spapassword. Next create a diskpool with the same name as the original (see the DR file) using the NetBackup Disk Pool Wizard, in this case DiskPool1.
4. Run the nbcatsync command against your DR file.
Windows: <install_path>\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\nbcatsync -sync_dr_file <dr file path and filename>
Unix/Linux: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbcatsync -sync_dr_file <dr file path and filename>
5. Start a Catalog recovery from the command line:
Windows: <install_path>\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bprecover -wizard
Unix/Linux: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bprecover -wizard
- The MSDP pool must be up and functioning.
- Need the media server MSDP Credentials used when initially setting up the MSDP pool (SPA login and password for PureDisk)
- Catalog backup Disaster Recovery (DR) file must be available.
Was this content helpful?
Rating submitted. Please provide additional feedback (optional):