How to change the password for the logon account that was specified for a Deduplication storage folder with the spauser.exe utility
How to change the password for the logon account that was specified for a Deduplication storage folder with the spauser.exe utility.
When specifying a Backup Exec logon account for a Deduplication storage folder, an additional user account is created for the Deduplication components with the same user name and password. However, if the credentials for the Backup Exec logon account are changed, the credentials for the additional user account are not changed automatically. Use the spauser.exe utility to update the password for the additional user account. This account is known as the "User 1" account when using the spauser. exe utility to view a list of user names that are associated with the Deduplication storage folder.
Note: The passwords must be kept synchronized to ensure that the Deduplication storage folder will be accessible after services are restarted and to facilitate the recovery of the Deduplication storage folder after a system failure. Also while running the spauser.exe -l from command prompt on a windows 2008 Server disable the UAC(User access control) or use the option "Run as administrator" to make sure the command executes successfully.
- On the Backup Exec Network menu, click Logon Accounts.
- Select the Backup Exec logon account that needs to be changed, and click Edit.
- Click Change Password.
- Type the new password.
- Click OK.
- Open the command prompt in elevated mode, i.e. right click on Command prompt from the start menu and select run as Administrator
- At a command prompt go to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec and type the following command and then press Enter:
spauser.exe -c -u <UserName>
Note: The user name is case-sensitive. There will also be a prompt for the old password and a new password. Make sure that the new password is the same as the password used in step 4. Type the following command to list the user name that is associated with the logon account for the Deduplication storage folder. Use the user name that is associated with "User 1".
ATTENTION: The spauser utility prompts for the previous password before allowing the user to create a new password. It is critical to keep track of this password. If this password is lost and the password is changed in the matching Backup Exec logon account, it will not be possible to bring this Deduplication folder online again.
- On the devices tab, right click the Deduplication Storage Folder and select Properties.
- Note the Logon account that is being used. Select the ... icon in the lower right hand corner of the dialog to bring up the Logon Account selection dialog
- Note the User name associated with the Logon account from Step 2.
- Click on "New" to create a new Logon Account. Make the username for this Logon Account the same as the one noted in Step 3. Set the password as desired.
- Click OK.
- Select the newly created Logon Account for access to the Deduplication Folder
- Follow the steps from earlier in the article to synchronize the password using the spauser utility.
Related Knowledge Base Articles
Was this content helpful?
Rating submitted. Please provide additional feedback (optional):