cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware error 4239

aburrubk
Level 3

any one have any suggestion ? i am faceing the same problem as in this post: https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/error-code-4239

i have a number of turend off VM and need to backup them

when i Changing the Primary VM identifier from that to "VM display name" an error 4239 appear and massage unable to find Virtual machine and  if i ignore it and run the policy backup did't start snapshot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The problem with tagging onto another post is that we don't get to know enough about your environment.

Which NBU version?

Which ESX/vCenter version?

Credentials added for ESX or vCenter?

Have a look at this TN: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000068085 - Extract:

Through a vCenter server, NetBackup can back up the virtual machines that are turned off. You must provide credentials for NetBackup to access the vCenter server.

See Adding NetBackup credentials for VMware.

If NetBackup uses credentials for an ESX server instead of vCenter, it may not be able to identify a turned off virtual machine. Note the following:

• If the policy uses VM host name or VM DNS name as the Primary VM identifier, NetBackup may not find the virtual machine. The backup fails.

• If the policy uses VM display name or VM UUID as the Primary VM identifier, NetBackup can identify the virtual machine. The backup succeeds.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne

The problem with tagging onto another post is that we don't get to know enough about your environment.

Which NBU version?

Which ESX/vCenter version?

Credentials added for ESX or vCenter?

Have a look at this TN: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000068085 - Extract:

Through a vCenter server, NetBackup can back up the virtual machines that are turned off. You must provide credentials for NetBackup to access the vCenter server.

See Adding NetBackup credentials for VMware.

If NetBackup uses credentials for an ESX server instead of vCenter, it may not be able to identify a turned off virtual machine. Note the following:

• If the policy uses VM host name or VM DNS name as the Primary VM identifier, NetBackup may not find the virtual machine. The backup fails.

• If the policy uses VM display name or VM UUID as the Primary VM identifier, NetBackup can identify the virtual machine. The backup succeeds.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Selections and queries can also be case sensitive so try and match the display name in the policy in the same case as you see it in vcenter

This is particularly dangerous with queries as you dont even realise that clients dont backup unless you test the query and check off the included clients against your list in the query

aburrubk
Level 3

yes this resolved the problem thank you

Marianne
Please mark the post that pointed you in the right direction as Solution. Thanks!