cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec BE2010: Job Completed with Exception-Files skipped No Backup of Data

hashsysadm
Level 3

Hi There,

I would be grateful if anybody could assist me to address the below issue i am getting.

Windows Events Id: 8193

Backup- Server Address
 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Serveraddress\C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft ...

V-79-10000-11226 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provi...

Backup- \\Server Address\C:
Unable to open the item \\ServerAddress\C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\lastal...

Unable to open the item \\ServerAddress\C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\lastal...

Unable to open the item \\ServerAddress\C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\DEFAULT - skipped.

Unable to open the item \\ServerAddress\C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SAM - skipped.

Unable to open the item \\ServerAddress\C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SECURITY - skipped.

Unable to open the item \\ServerAddress\C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SOFTWARE - skipped.

Unable to open the item \\ServerAddress\C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SYSTEM - skipped.

Backup
 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server Address\E:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft...

V-79-10000-11226 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provi...

- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server Address\F:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft...

- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server Address\P:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I had sent a PM with the following comments -

" Thanks for the log. The VSS error is slightly different this time.

Cannot find anymore diff area candidates

Do ensure the Shadow Copies size is set to NO LIMIT for all volumes. Do verify that all volumes have been assigned a drive letter via Disk Management as well.

Thanks. "

What was the outcome of the changes ? Additonally any 4K sector size disk in use ?

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

pkh
   VIP    Certified

From a command prompt on the target server, run 

vssadmin list writer

If any of the writers has an error, reboot the server and try again.

hashsysadm
Level 3

Hi PKH,

thank you for your kind response, i have run the command and the result shows no error.

Incase maybe some issue, i have also rebooted server. and run the job but getting same result files skipped. 

appreciate your kind assistance.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1. Check the Windows Event log to see what the errors are 2. Check that all the item skipped do exist 3. Enable AOFO in your job and choose the MS provider

VJware
Level 6

Check for specific VSS / volsnap errors in the event viewer.

Also, do ensure the Shadow Copies of the C:\ volume is set to No Limit.

Set the Volume Shadow Copy and the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider services are enabled, stopped and startup type set to Manual.

If running Windows Server 2003, do ensure the VSS roll up updates from MS are applied.

hashsysadm
Level 3

1. Check the Windows Event log to see what the errors are

i have checked the Event log, i am getting the VSS error(Event ID: 8193), searching on google, i have found the microsoft link regarding the mentioned above event id and i follow the steps. i have checked the vss service is also enabled and set to manual.

maybe if we fix this issue, we may find the solution for this. i am working on this but i need your assistance please. 

2. Check that all the item skipped do exist

i have checked all the items...only two files i couldn't find i.e., lastalive0.dat and lastalive1.dat files apart from this i can see all the files present.

3. Enable AOFO in your job and choose the MS provider

as inform i did according, enable AOFO run the job but the same issue.

i have check the box ...use AOFO, in that MS VSS and Snapshot Provider: system-use microsoft shadow copy provider.

also i have also check the box "process logical vol for backup one at a time".

------Result

the same 7 files skipped

-AOFO: Initialization failure

hashsysadm
Level 3

Hi VJware,

thanks for your response, i have checked as per your comments...please check the below result.

i have found VSS error

yes the i have checked the shadow copies of C which is set to no limit.

yes VSS and MS Shadow copy provider are enabled

vss servicess are set to manual.

my server running windows server 2008r2

please advise, i have been searching for solution for this issue for a long time but couldn't find it.

i need supervision advise on this to address the issue. TIA

VJware
Level 6

What is the VSS error ?

And if possible, can you PM or attach the complete Application and System event viewer logs ? Thanks.

hashsysadm
Level 3

hi pkh, i have replied to your comment but in that i have mentioned one microsoft link, so may it will get moderate and then publish.

hashsysadm
Level 3

hi VJware, i have pm...please check and advise. thanks

VJware
Level 6

Based on the error in the system log, try this :-

On the remote server, browse to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and find all values that ends in ".bak". Delete such registry entries (do ensure you backup the registry prior to delete) and reboot the server.

Rerun the backup and check.

hashsysadm
Level 3

i have checked for the file which have ext ".bak". but i found no file with that ext.

VJware
Level 6

Does a backup using Windows Backup utility complete successfully ?

And did you check each profile under ProfileList as the message in your event viewer logs references

S-1-5-21-826756842-385030747-806509889-24804.bak

hashsysadm
Level 3

sorry VJware, i was mistaken... i found it, before proceeding it to delete i i will take the backup of registry and delete it.

i will keep you posted the result. Thanks.

hashsysadm
Level 3

VJware, please advise from which server should i delete the .bak file ....the server running BE2010 or the server from where the files getting skipped and giving initialization error.

VJware
Level 6

The remote server which is getting backed up.

hashsysadm
Level 3

hi VJware, i have deleted the .bak file from remote server and run the job but again the same issue i am getting. after this, i have also deleted the .bak file from the server running BE2010, then run the job but the result was same: job successful with exceptions and also skipped files.

please advise thanks.

VJware
Level 6

Pls PM me the latest job log along with the Application & System logs from the remote server. Thanks.

hashsysadm
Level 3

Hi Vjware, sorry for delay in response please check I have PM you the latest logs as advise.

appreciate your assistance.

hashsysadm
Level 3

Hello VJware, please advise any further troubleshooting steps to address the issue. your assistance will be highly appreciated. TIA.