cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is SSR 2013 recommended for backup over VPN and does it do incremental?

Cougie
Level 2

Hi,

I have a client who recently decided to have over the VPN DR backup. I set up SSR 2013 to make a full backup of a server to a NAS drive. Then I moved it over to their other office. (2 office connected via IPSEC VPN - Both office have 10Mbps up and down). I then edited the backup setting to the NAS drive's new IP address at the other office and it it continue to backup as scheduled.

The back up is taking a really long time. It seems to me that the backup is copying all of the server rather than the incremental changes.

In the backup setting I did not see any setting regarding whether the backup can do full or incremental.

So my question is: Can SSR 2013 do incremental backups at all? And is over the VPN backup recommended at all?

Let me know if I need to provide further information.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited

So my question is: Can SSR 2013 do incremental backups at all? And is over the VPN backup recommended at all?

Yes, it can do incremental backups.

Backup over VPN? That really depends on a) the bandwidth available and b) the amount of data you are backing up. As you have seen, you may struggle with full backups.

There is an option to split the backups into smaller chunks which may help.... that may be worth a try.

Cougie
Level 2

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you let me know how I can specify incremental subsequent backups? When I edit the backup job and go through each setting I do not see anywhere that specifies full or incremental.

I've already ran the 1st initial (Full) backup with the NAS attached locally and now they 2nd backup has been going on for a week (Over VPN). (one at 37% another at 77%). Network status shows it has sent over 1TB of data. So I am assuming the current setting is not incremental but rather sending the whole server across the VPN.

Thanks.

criley
Employee Accredited

There is no option in the backup job to specify when to do an incremental.

If you have created a recovery point set backup (default option) - the first backup will be a full, then incrementals will run. The next full backup will run based on the schedule options you choose.

However, it sounds like maybe you have configured an independent backup which is FULL backups only. I would suggest deleting and creating the backup again - you should be presented with 2 options when setting up the job - recovery point set or independent.