Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise vault 11.0.1 CHF4 Slow "new search"

Andrew_F
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys,

i have a problem with the new enterprise vault search (EV11.0.1 CHF4 on Windows Server 2012 R2 Std)

When i go to the homepage https://evserver/enterprisevault, clicking on new search it takes 45 seconds to open my archive for search.

After archive is open i can do searches fast and without problems.

I tried to do a Dtrace of search and indexing issues (see the attachment)

Any help will be appreciated

cheers

14 REPLIES 14

JimmyNeutron
Level 6
Partner Accredited

How many shared archives are you a part of? Also how long ago did you upgrade to EV 11? The system is probably still doing work and needs to finish enabling  the fast search capability.

I would also reset IE cache.

Andrew_F
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Jimmy,

no shared archive, only mine.

It's a fresh new EV Installation (11.0.1 CHF4) not an upgrade from previous version.

Only one mailbox enabled for archiving (mine)

Fiona
Level 4
Certified

I also have this issue, so interested to see if anyone responds.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Andrew,

This has been the issue for a long time (also in previous versions)... I believe the culprit is the need to compile the ASP used by the search. As far as I know, the first user to hit the search on an EV server forces the compilation. Then for any next user, the search loads quicker. I am not sure how this can be resolved (if it can be resolved), but it might be worth opening a case at Veritas Support to have them confirm/investigate it.

There have been a few forum entries on this too, but I believe non have a satisfying solution.

GJ.

Regards. Gertjan

JimmyNeutron
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I am wondering if this not an EV issue but a GPO setting for IE. 

Elio_C
Level 6

I had a lot of frustration with this too.

I logged a ticket and, after no real outcome, an idea in October 2015 https://www.veritas.com/community/ideas/pre-load-enterprise-vault-search-application-outlook as during my testing the performance was unacceptable.

As Gertjan mentioned it is noticably quicker now there are many users rather than just limited testing.

Any idle/timeout settings in the Application Pool timeouts remained unchanged but this way be worth investigating if the timing fits.

Manideep_Neeli
Level 4
Employee

Could you please check if the IIS on EV server windows is taking more time in the background for windows authentication. Have seen one such rare instance where EV IIS tries to authenticate with GC on remote office though there is a GC is in local office.

Manideep_Neeli
Level 4
Employee

w3wp trace shows the below:

67    14:17:11.122     [5764]    (w3wp)    <4092>    EV-L    {EVS} before getting the display name for the user || User: MyDomain\MyUsername
148    14:17:57.326     [5764]    (w3wp)    <4092>    EV-L    {EVS} after getting the display name for the user || User: MyDomain\MyUsername

It took 46 seconds for EV to get Display name from AD properties
Please check to which to which LDAP server is EV communicaing with?
Are there any restrictions on port 389?

Massimo_Vagli
Level 4

Hello, 

I am just wondering here, is the EV Server connected to internet?

Just thinking about https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000046442

Massimo

Andrew_F
Level 3
Partner Accredited

@Manideep
46 seconds... exactly the time i have to wait for my archive become ready.
Interesting.... monday morning i will analize authentication process.
Thanks for the help you gave me.

@Massimo
Sto diventando pazzo, ho già provato ad abilitare la navigazione internet lato server ma il risultato è sempre lo stesso.
English Translation: (i already tried by enabling internet connection server-side with the same result)

Thank you all, Monday i will give you a feedback.

Andrea

JimmyNeutron
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You might want to look at this technote. Could be related https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH214690

Andrew_F
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys,

After i checked the authentication process (which showed no problems), i tried to enable some other mailbox for archiving.

I can not explain why but the problem seems to be disappeared simply enabling other mailboxes (i'm sure the problem was not related to the application pool timeout), i will give you an update when all users will be enabled.

Thank you all

Manideep_Neeli
Level 4
Employee

so now, there should not be a delay between:

{EVS} before getting the display name for the user || User: MyDomain\MyUsername and {EVS} after getting the display name for the user || User: MyDomain\MyUsername

May be the AD attributes are being picked up from the closest GC

Marcde
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Did anyone find a solution for that?

Manideeps suggestion to configure the closest gc in the vac did not solve it for us. 

seeing that the delay is exactly between these two mentioned lines. 

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de