cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2010 failed today ......

davecason
Level 3

Hi,

I run an old copy of backup exec 2010 r3 on my old HP server DL360 with surestore 24 tape drive. Earlier in the week I pulled out 3 tapes and didn't put in the other 3 for day .... this caused the backup exec to throw up an error 58053 and it put the tape drive under library offline.

I shut down the server and then the library and restarted the library and then the server .... it's back online but the slots in my 2 partitions now say they're both empty .....one is tapes 0001-0020 for the day to day and tapes 0021-0024 are offsite tapes (3) and one cleaning. Both show all slots as empty ......

The media sets are all still there but they are all showing up in the OFFLINE MEDIA menu and not in the ONLINE one above that in the Media Tab down at the bottom under the Media Location drop down in the left pane on the program

What do I need to do to get the media sets back in the on-line section and then get the "Inventory" command to work and see the tapes again?

Any HELP is appreciated very much!

Cheers'
Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Nope.  It is not quite fixed.  The tape library is not using a Microsoft driver.  You need to change the driver using the procedure in the document below

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000027467

Earlier, before you post your screenshots, you said that you re-install your tape library and you saw 2 partitions.  This is why I said that you may have partitioned your library on a hardware level.

Unless you have a good reason, I would suggest that you do not partition your library.  There are operational implications to partitioning.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Dave,

SureStore 24? Don't you mean MSL 2024? The SureStore was a DAT drive and a single slot at that, unless you can provide more info?

You can try deleting the tape library from Windows Device Manager and BE itself, and then disconnecting it from the server. Restart the media server and make sure it doesn;t show up in either.

Once done, shut the server down, reconnect the unit and start up the server before running the Symantec driver installation for the tape drive itself.

Then run an inventory again.

Thanks!

davecason
Level 3

Yep !  Sorry - yes it is a 2024 .......

So can you provide a few more details on how to deletre the library from Windows and the from the BE software itself?

Once that's done - you are saying, power off teh server, unhook the tape library from the server, and then restart the server again!  

After booting (make sure the server can't see the 2024 library)  Then shut the server down once more and then re-hook up the 2024

and then re-run the driver install right?    Should I power up the 2024 first THEN power up the server or does it matter at that point?

Thanks for the advice BTW !

Cheers'

Dave

CraigV

Hi,

No worries...Go into Devices in Backup Exec and right-click both the robotics and the drive and delete them.

Then in Windows Device Manager, delete the robotics (should show as 'Unknown Medium Changer') as well as the drive itself.

Disconnect from the server and shut it as well as the server down. Start up the server and make sure the library doesn't show up in either of Windows or BE. Shut it down, connect the library and start up the server again.

Once it boots into Windows, start up the library again and run tapeinst.exe to install the Symantec drivers for the drive, and make sure the robotics shows up as 'Unknown Medium Changer'. In BE, you might have to recreate the partitions, but run an Inventory.

If this doesn't work, then stop the BE services and log onto the Command View for Tape Libraries app via a browser to check whether or not the library sees the tapes. If it doesn't, then HP Library and Tape Tools should be downloaded. I normally would upgrade the firmware if a newer version was available, but you can run a device diagnostic test to make sure all is well with the actual library.

Thanks!

davecason
Level 3

Hey Craig .....

Thanks for the help but no joy .....

- I went in and removed all the 2024 stuff from back up exec and windows.  (1.no lib attached)

- Ran tapeinst and it found it just fine. (2.new drv inst) 

- Ran it tapeinst and it finished OK. (3.new drv after)

- Went in to backup exec and re-created the partition. (4.partitions)

- Started a new inventory job on all slots. (5.invt run)

- It finished ok according to the logs, but it was quick. (6.invt fail)

What do you suggest I try?  the one thing I didn't see was where you said it'll show up as "unknown medium changer" what woudl that show up?

Cheers'
Dave

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is the procedure you should follow to re-install the tape library and tape drive.

1) Go to the BE installation directory and use tapeinst.exe to delete all occurances of both the old and the new tape drives and tape libraries

2) Stop the media server and the library

3) Start the tape library

4) Start the media server

5) Ensure that the library and tape drive is recognised and functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager. The library should appear as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and the tape drive should have a Symantec driver.

6) In BE, install the library if necessary.  Go to Tools --> Wizards ---> Device Configuration Wizard to do so.

7) Target your jobs to some other device, save it and then target it to the tape library again.

8) Try again.

Step 5 is critical.  If the tape library and tape drive does not show in the Windows Device Manager then BE cannot use them.

After re-installing the library, run an inventory job on the entire library to update the status.  I would suggest that you do not partition the library until everything is functioning correctly.

I noticed from your screenshots that you are using a mixture of barcode labels and physical labels.  I have a lot of problems when I did this with a MSL2024.  The problems only go away when I use barcode labels on all my tapes.

davecason
Level 3

OK, I'll give it a shot again .... and yep I am using a mixture of labels .....

I can always try to find new barcodes and label the off-site tapes - there are only 6.

To me it seems like the barcode reader has failed but I'm  just wildly guessing.

I'll try the delete and add again today and we'll see if I have any luck!

THANKS again!

Cheers'

Dave

davecason
Level 3

Hi Guys,

OK so step 1 was use tapeinst to pull everything off the server for drivers and delete the library in BE.   (1. no drv_vautl attach)  So I did that and powered down the server and 2024 and disconnected the 2024 from the server and brought it back up - theres the screen shot.  So the vault is unattached and the server and BE see nothing.

Next I reattached the vault and then powered up the 2024 and then the server.  (2. new found )   So now Windows server sees a device called "Unknown Media Changer" and BE has pciked up a two devices one as HP 0001 and a second called HP 0002 as you can see in the screenshot the MS driver seems to be right but I don't know if BE is using the Symantec driver.

I'll wait till you have a look at this before I start the wizard.

Cheers'

Dave

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You did not attach any screenshots.

Read my instructions carefully, in particular Step 5.

I think you have partitioned your library on a hardware level which is why BE is picking up 2 devices.  You should always use BE to partition the library.

davecason
Level 3

Ah .... damm site ... I'll try to attach them again ...... my bad!

Cheers'

Dave

davecason
Level 3

There we go ....... (damm technology)   :)

CraigV

...your tape drive isn't showing up, while the robotics is correct. You need to resolve the issue with Windows...what it sees, Backup Exec sees. You'd need to contact your library manufacturer to assist here.

But it might very well be a hardware-related issue.

Thanks!

davecason
Level 3

Hi pkh ......

Thanks for the reply but you lost me !

When you say that it might be configured as a hardware level partition what does that mean?   Here is a shot of the BE.  (3.no part)

I don't have my default partition in there anymore .....

Craig .....

When you say that the tape drive isn't showing up what does that mean?   Here's the screen shot showing the current status of the BE.

Isn't that the unit there identified as HP 0002 and HP 0001 ?

Cheers'

Dave

davecason
Level 3

Hi Guys,

Well maybe some progress ......  I took the cover off and gave the unit a quick cleaning and I did the firmware upgrade on both the library software and the tape drive software.

It was at the factory original of: 3.40 and 2.40e and now it's at 6.30 and 3.20e .....It's looking happy - all the tests pass and you can see the bar-code reader is working and happy,

the front panel is reporting the right number of tapes in the unit as well.  I pulled the 3 off site tapes that don't have bar codes on them and it's reporting 20 tapes and the one cleaning tape in it.

Rebooted both and windows now says it found an HP Ultrium 4-SCSI drive and it dropped in the drive from Windows Update.  It now says its finished installing:  Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-4 drive.

After the re-boot here's what I'm now seeing ...... (6. fixed)

Cheers'

Dave

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Nope.  It is not quite fixed.  The tape library is not using a Microsoft driver.  You need to change the driver using the procedure in the document below

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000027467

Earlier, before you post your screenshots, you said that you re-install your tape library and you saw 2 partitions.  This is why I said that you may have partitioned your library on a hardware level.

Unless you have a good reason, I would suggest that you do not partition your library.  There are operational implications to partitioning.

davecason
Level 3

Hummm,

OK, pkh ....so you say to change it BACK to the the " unknown driver"  ...... this current setup is no good?

Cheers'

Dave

CraigV

...always recommended to have the Symantec drivers installed for the drive. I mentioned it a few posts ago, but run tapeinst.exe to install them.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do read my posts CAREFULLY.  Since when did I say, "unknown driver"?